The Planet provides us with so much, a place to live, love and grow. Planet Earth gives us food, shelter, air and basically everything we need to survive. For sustainability at McSweeney Arms Hotel we have decided it is time to be accountable for how we treat and contribute to our planet.
Over the years we have completed many sustainable improvements for example operating on LED lighting, which saves many tones of CO2 energy. Our plastic water bottles for guests have been changed to glass. We have reduced our water waste by installing toilet tummys, which save up to 2-3liters of water on each flush; we installed water saving showerheads and fitted values to control water flow on our taps. This has not compromised the quality of our shower systems. All our sustainable changes won’t be harming the level of customer service or visitor satisfaction.
However now it is time be accountable. We aim to make better day-to-day decisions as well major resolutions to change our trajectory towards a healthier and happier Planet.
In 2021 we became members of Sustainable Travel Ireland their certification standard is the only set of criteria used in Ireland to be recognised by the Global Sustainable Tourism Council (GSTC). We aim to be certified within two years. We are also members of The Killarney Hotels Sustainability Group, which is a group of hotels totalling more than 3000 bedrooms that take protecting our beautiful landscape and environment at the forefront of what we do.
The following are some aspects we will be focusing on over the next year;
- We aim to be Single use plastic free by the end of the year
- Proper use & training on bin use to reduce the amount of waste we send to landfill
- We aim to inspire our guests to make positive changes in their own lives after their stay with us.
- Take away coffee cups & lids to be compostable
- Change over bathroom amenities to more sustainable products once our supplies run out
- Removing bin liners from our bedroom bins & set up in room recycling
- Only work with sustainable suppliers as much as possible
- Training staff on new sustainability standards
- To monitoring and managing water, waste and energy
This is a continuous learning journey for us,
As Greta Thunberg said “You are never too small to make a Difference”.
We welcome any questions or suggestions you may have. Please do not hesitate to contact email@example.com.